See if Partial or Complete Dentures in Rowlett TX are Right for Your Smile
Denture Basics: Information for First-Time Denture Wearers
We all hope our natural teeth will last a lifetime. But when this isn’t possible, dental professionals can offer a number of options to restore oral function and appearance. Thanks to advances in polymer science, the vast majority of dentures are now made with extremely high-quality, durable plastic, and are stronger, more comfortable, and more natural looking than ever before. In short, these are not your grandmother’s dentures!
A wide variety of dentures in Rowlett is available for individuals who are missing some or all of their teeth. Complete dentures replace all of the teeth on the upper and/or lower jaw and rest on the gums that cover the jawbone. These dentures can be made more secure when attached to one or more tooth roots (overdenture) or to dental implants (implant overdenture). Some implant overdentures can be removed by the wearer and others can be removed only by a dental practitioner.
Partial dentures replace only some of the teeth and attach to the remaining natural teeth with clasps or mechanical components known as attachments (precision and semi-precision partial dentures, also called attachment partial dentures.) Dr. Montoya will help you decide what type of denture and treatment plan are best for you.
Denture Types Defined
• Conventional dentures: Replace all missing teeth in a jaw and rest on the gum tissue
• Conventional overdentures: Replace all missing teeth, rest on the gum tissue, and are also supported with attachment to one or more tooth roots
• Implant overdentures: Replace all missing teeth in a jaw and connect to surgically placed dental implants
• Conventional partial dentures: Replace some missing teeth and are held in place with clasps that wrap around adjacent teeth
• Precision and semi-precision partial dentures (also called attachment partial dentures): Replace some missing teeth and are held in place with mechanical components called attachments
Getting Your Dentures: The Process
The types of treatments needed before our Rowlett dentures can be placed and the amount of time those treatments take will vary depending upon a person’s overall oral health, the number and location of missing teeth, and the type of denture selected to replace those teeth. These treatments can include:
• Impressions or molds of the contour of the mouth, used as a model for the denture
• Extractions to remove any unhealthy teeth
• Implant surgery for those receiving implant overdentures
• Adjustments to achieve the best fit and level of comfort once dentures are placed.
Individuals who require extractions or implant surgery will need to wait several weeks for the mouth to heal before dentures can be placed. For some people, a temporary or “immediate” denture can be placed in the mouth on the same day extractions are performed, and worn until the permanent denture is fitted.
If you're interested in seeing if dentures in Rowlett are the best choice for your smile, give Dr. Montoya's office a call at 972-412-5064 to schedule your consultation. We want to give you a smile that you're comfortable and confident with!